Synthetic grass, otherwise known as artificial grass, is created with man-made synthetic fibres that look like natural grass. Traditionally artificial turf was used on sports fields. The main reason for this was with so much foot traffic it could be difficult to maintain and keep it looking beautiful. In Calgary, for example, when SAIT installed its soccer pitch in the mid-2000s, they opted for artificial turf. The space to this day still looks good and is enjoyed by the soccer team and students.
The enhancement in the appearance and experience of synthetic grass has added chiefly to its more prominent use for the housing turf and lawns. By making use of artificial grass, homeowners can enjoy a fit, green, ideally maintained lawn all through the year. Moreover, synthetic grass also needs the smallest protection and maintenance, making it far handier and less expensive to keep than the natural grass.
At Curb Design we have four different types of artificial grass under out Precision Green product line: Cascade Elite, Park Royal, The Classic, and Spring Pro. All of these artificial grass products have their own characteristics and styles, so it really comes down to what’s best for your property and where you want to use it. Artificial grass is ideal for backyard putting greens, dog runs or just for overall landscaping of a property.
A well-manicured lawn is a lovely sight to behold. We all want a perfect green landscape, but this is very difficult to achieve. Grass needs lots of maintenance. It should be mowed, watered, and edged regularly. Also, it needs fertilizing to keep it looking at its best. It can be frustrating to maintain because it requires a lot of gardening skills. Today, an alternative is available in the market - artificial grass. This type of grass is quickly gaining popularity all over the world as a practical and superior solution for landscaping.
Synthetic turf can fill in for the real thing in virtually any situation, whether it is a playground or a back yard, the front lawn of an office park or even an indoor space.
Artificial grass is made of synthetic fibres designed to imitate the appearance of natural grass. Imitation grass was first used in sports stadiums, where natural grass often doesn't get all the sunlight it needs and is difficult to maintain.
Many people who are only familiar with the older types of synthetic turf think that all artificial grass is stiff and abrasive. Newer types are much softer and feel more like natural grass. Polyethylene makes this possible. Because more and more people have begun using artificial turf for residential lawns, the application of this new technology is more critical than ever. Homeowners demand high-quality synthetic grass that doesn't feel fake.
Natural grass requires chemicals and toxic fertilizers which is not good for the environment. When you choose synthetic grass instead, you can enjoy peace of mind knowing that you are not causing any type of damage to the environment. Also, you can find fake grass that is made from sustainable and recycled products.
Another popular artificial grass or synthetic lawn product is the Sierra Pacific. It’s ideal for areas with high volume foot traffic. In addition, this artificial grass is made of DuraBlade fibres and FiberCool technology. The FiberCool technology allows the synthetic lawn to stay cool to the touch on the hottest summer days.
- High Foot Traffic. Our Sierra Pacific artificial grass solution is ideal for areas with medium to high foot traffic. It’s durable, strong and lasts a long time.
- U-Shaped Fiber Technology. As with most of our artificial grass products, the Sierra Pacific synthetic lawn is equipped with our ground breaking U-Shaped fiber technology. This allows the artificial grass to soft to the touch, cool yet durable.
- Suggested Application. The Sierra Pacific is ideal for general landscaping use, pet systems or dog walks, playgrounds or play areas and any sport or recreational areas. Sierra Pacific also works great for any commercial use.
The Garden Pro is one of the most technologically advanced artificial grass products currently on the market. Not only does it provide deep contrasting, lush, vibrant fiber colors but it’s also soft to the touch. This synthetic grass product is perfect for any landscaping setting. It’s equipped with ultra thin blade fibers that delivers ultimate durability and soft responsiveness.
- “W” Shaped NanoWave Technology. The Garden Pro is manufactured with “W” shaped NaWave fibers. This allows the artificial grass to be tremendously soft and lush yet durable and responsive.
- Vibrant & Contrasting Colors. The Garden Pro artificial grass boasts a deep contrasting color. It’s well known for it’s moss green and emerald green variations.
- 10 Year Product Warranty. As with all our artificial grass products, the Garden Pro comes with a standard 10-year manufacturer product warranty. With that said, the Garden Pro also comes with a 2-year Workmanship Warranty.
Cascade Elite is one of our most popular landscaping artificial grass products currently on the market. It is truly a next generation of synthetic grass. Here’s why:
- Scientific research. Cascade Elite was created based on years of trial and error. We have ultimately perfected the look, feel, and texture of our artificial grass.
- WaveBlade Technology. Cascade Elite artificial grass is made up of three distinctive ridges that reflect the daily UV light, making it 10 degrees cooler than other synthetic grass products on the market.
- No Sheen or Artificial Glare. Thanks to our WaveBlade Technology sheen and plastic glare is a thing of the past. Cascade Elite artificial grass has no glare or shine, commonly seen on any other artificial grass on the market. Thanks to this futuristic invention our artificial grass is the most realistic to date.
- Ultra-Soft, Durable, and Realistic. Cascade Elite is made to withstand heavy duty foot traffic. Cascade Elite can be used commercially or in residential applications and is perfect for sports activities, daily family foot traffic, and even downtown outdoor patios.
Park Royal artificial grass is one of our premium high-quality fake grass products. Furthermore, Park Royal is one of our most realistic and vibrant products that will enhance your landscaping space. It is also 100% maintenance free and boasts a 10-year warranty.
Key reasons why Park Royal is ideal for you:
- 10-Year Product Warranty. Our Park Royal artificial grass comes with a 10-year manufacturer product warranty and a two-year Workmanship Warranty.
- Bright Colour and Ultra Realistic. Park Royal is equipped with a two-toned Emerald Green and Field Green colour variation. This makes it a high-quality, ultra defined and realistic artificial grass.
- Dry Yellow and Forest Green. Apart from the two-toned colours, Park Royal artificial grass also comes with a dull yellow or a forest green touch.
- U-Shape Fibre Structure. Our U-Shape Fibre Structure provides a durable, artificial grass product that remains ultra-soft and responsive year around.
The Classic artificial grass is one of our most vibrant and eye-catching synthetic grass products on the market. Not only does it look and feel like real, healthy grass but it also makes lawn maintenance a thing of the past. If curb appeal and curb appearance is important to you, then the Classic artificial grass is what you need.
Facts about Classic artificial grass
- Unique 3 Tone Blade Design. The Classic artificial grass is equipped with a 3 tone blade design that allows for an incredibly realistic look and feel. Furthermore, the three tone colour design allows the Classic artificial grass to look identical to natural grass lawns that have been well taken care of.
- 1.57 Inch Blade Height. The Classic comes with a 1.57″ blade height that makes is always appear freshly mowed.
- A Seam That Lasts. The Classic is equipped with more durable seam stretch that allows for phenomenal durability. Making it a popular synthetic grass in Calgary.
- Polyurethane Coated Backing. Our Classic artificial grass is coated with Polyurethane that is installed beneath or below the synthetic grass. This coating extends the life span on the Classic artificial grass.
Our Spring Pro artificial grass comes with a 4 tone blade design, which looks and feels more realistic than any other brand currently on the market. The 4 tone design gives it a slightly imperfect look that adds to the realism of the product.
Key points of Spring Pro artificial grass within Calgary
- Durability that lasts a decade. Our Spring Pro artificial grass series comes with a 10-year manufacturer product warranty and a two-year Workmanship Warranty.
- Imperfect Appearance. The Spring Pro series is designed and created with the “Imperfect” look that allows for a more realistic ultra definition. Now your artificial lawn can look and feel the same as your neighbours, without the time-consuming lawn maintenance.
- No Sheen or Artificial Glare. Thanks to our WaveBlade Technology sheen and plastic glare is a thing of the past. Our Spring Pro artificial grass has no glare or shine that is typically seen on any other artificial grass on the market. Thanks to this futuristic invention our artificial grass is the most realistic current to date.
Maintaining your lawn requires money and time. The constant watering, seeding and trimming that it takes to maintain a perfect lawn hardly seem worth it to a lot of individuals. So why bother, when you can have a grass that never grows, always looks perfect and does not need to be watered? These are some of the benefits of artificial grass. With artificial grass, you can enjoy all the advantages of natural grass without the troubles.
Imagine all the money and time you could save if you did not have to water your lawn all the time. You could also conserve water, saving you on your utility bills, if you don’t have to worry about your grass drying out. Artificial grass stays green in all kinds of weather. It will never dry or turn yellow, and will always look beautiful.
Synthetic grass also does not require mowing since it never grows. If you do not enjoy mowing your lawn all summer with a push gas-powered mower or a push mower, consider buying fake grass that does not need to be mowed. Because it is low maintenance synthetic turf is also helpful for homeowners with limited mobility. You won’t have to pay someone to mow your lawn. Artificial turf will always be the right length.
Concern over the look and feel is why many people think synthetic grass is not a good investment. But high-quality artificial turf feels and looks like natural grass. It’s also much more durable and will last many years. Most people will not be able to tell the difference between your new synthetic grass lawn and the real thing in the summer.
The lawn provides a place for your kids to play; it is much softer than gravel and concrete. Plastic grass is just as good for this. Because it looks real, does not need watering, and never grows, it will always be in perfect condition.
Another option for artificial grass installation in Calgary is a dog run. Dog runs are areas of fake grass landscaped solely for dogs to enjoy the outdoors. One of the benefits is that these synthetic sods are easy to clean and never discolour. With an artificial lawn, you can use a pooper scooper to collect any excrement and then wash off any residue with a spray bottle or hose.
It’s important that your synthetic grass installation is done right. One way to ensure success is by hiring a company that has fully trained, licensed, and experienced installers. This will help ensure that the installation is consistent, professional and of high quality. Make sure you understand what is involved in the installation process.
Before the installation, carefully choose the artificial grass that best fits your needs and lawn area. Search for a company with an excellent reputation that offers a lengthy warranty for their product. Many companies will guarantee their product for 15-20 years depending on the quality of the materials used. Word of mouth or the internet is an excellent source to get needed information about landscape design companies.
The first step in installing synthetic grass involves removing all existing weeds and natural grass from the targeted area. Immediately after this, a crushed stone aggregate is spread and flattened. This allows for proper drainage and helps provide a consistent, stable base for the artificial grass. The next step is to place a weed barrier over the stone to prevent vegetation growth through the rock and into the fake grass turf.
After placing the weed barrier, artificial turf is rolled out and cut to fit the desired area. The turf’s blades need to be arranged, so they all go in the same direction. This process gives it the look of a professionally manicured lawn, similar to what you would see at a baseball stadium. Landscape glue or staples can be used to hold the seams of the synthetic grass together.
Once the grass is set and secured, infill such as rubber and sand are spread out over the lawn and spread deep into the turf. This smooths out and fills the artificial grass surface giving it a comforting and soft base.
Artificial turf comes with a significant upfront cost — $5 to $20 per square foot, installed. However, once it is down, it is free for the next 15 to 25 years.
Natural sod, on the other hand, costs only 14 to 60 cents per square foot. But that’s where expenditures (and upkeep) begin. You have to water, mow and fertilize to keep it looking lush and green — all of which cost money and take time.
Synthetic grass offers so much to homeowners in terms of pristine looking lawns and common areas. Synthetic turf brings with it a unique set of qualities that allow you to save incrementally in terms of what you might have spent on maintenance and upkeep of your natural grass. Knowing this, it makes sense that you look into the possibility of making artificial grass a part of your outdoor space.